Monday, November 19, 2007

Obligatory Fanboy Declaration: Amazon is staple in my household. Almost all gift purchases, especially Christmas gifts, are purchased there. The prices rock, delivery is usually free, and they have everything. If you ask me, and some have, Amazon.com represents the Mecca of modern commerce.


On to my gushing, geeky gizmo gawking...

Kindle, Amazon's first tangible product, appears to be the revolutionary leap into ebooks that so many geekified readers yearned for. For the past few years, I stumbled through the bleeding edge of ebook reader technology (PDAs, phones, computers, BlackBerries. You name it, I have tried it.). If they pull it off as well as the demo makes us believe, I could be in heaven.

Being a not-so-small guy, I am a sucker for hardcover copies of books. They tend to be more durable, substatial to hold, and just a whole lot cooler (if you ask me). However, if a simple 10.3 ounces can hold up to 200 books, I will gladly stop lugging around my shoebox sized hardcover novels. No longer would I be restricted to whatever book is in my backpack. If a different genre/story grabs my fancy for the available free time I have at that moment, I can jump right into it regardless of where I am. This is the coup de grĂ¢ce for me. Put my entire library in the palm of my hand using a retina-friendly screen, and I am a disciple.

Does paying $2 to read a blog feed seem outlandish to me? Yes.
Is it an entirely unproven technology? Yes.
Will version 2.0 will be more refined, easier to use, etc.? Yes.
Am I am jumping on the Kindle bandwagon solely based on Amazon's marketing? Yes.

Do I still want one in the worst way? Hell yes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JA, its MM.

so far the other josh Anderson's website is way better. nonetheless i will continue to frequent the site, its like stalking you, but legal stalking.

happy thanksgiving broseph

Brian Addis said...

JA in Fatty B...I think you need to officially get me a new nickname since I have lost my 80 pounds. I would now like to be known as Bone-E-B. My new rap name. Or maybe Skinny B...or Ripped B. hehe!!! Anyway, we got our wedding pics back and they are awesome. There is one of you and I that is pretty sweet. MUG. Look for them at

brianaddis.blogspot.com

Post a Comment