Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Alexi Lalas, former defender on our US National team, seems to have rather grandiose visions of the MLS. Granted, I am a recent soccer convert (or traitor, if you ask my Brother-In-Law), but it is quite obvious, even to me, that the teams in the Premier League are CLEARLY better than anything I have seen in the MLS.

It stands to reason, that if the teams are clearly better, than the players that make up those teams are better. Name one player in the MLS, even with an aging Beckham, that is on anywhere nearly as talented as Didier Drogba or Cristiano Ronaldo. Just running down the list of EPL players who have made me sit up and say, "Damn, that guy is good!", I can rattle off quite a few who are heads-and-shoulders above anyone I have seen in the MLS (Wayne Rooney, Thierry Henry, Frank Lampard, and Steven Gerrard).

I do try, repeat try, to watch MLS soccer whenever it is on just so I can support our nation's league and only once have I stopped and said, "Wow, this is actually fun to watch!" Sadly, I think it was only fun because the defense was non-existant. Apparently the newspapers in England feel the same way (see the bottom of the linked article). If someone as new to soccer as I am can see that, how can Lalas say this in his right mind? Is it a marketing tactic or something stupid like that? Maybe, but it is still extremely ridiculous.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

0 comments:

Post a Comment