Friday, June 01, 2007

I love this idea! I can't imagine that I would end up being good enough to qualify for our country's Virtual World Cup team, but this is my only real hope at being any "good" at soccer. Maybe I should go pick up the latest version of FIFA again and try to brush up a little. Afterall, it is only 3 years away... :)

Over the past year or so, I have really fallen in love with soccer. Just like my infatuation with hockey (starting about 15 years ago and ending with the NHLPA's somewhat recent strike), I think it all stemmed from a video game. In much the same manner, I found a team that I liked (Chelsea), along with a budding star (Drogba), and played the crap out of FIFA '07.

Soon after I became half-way decent at FIFA (A.K.A. understanding the tactics of the game a little), I started religiously recording games on the Fox Soccer Channel. Watching these games has become a bit of a weekend morning ritual for myself and the kids whenever Renee is not home. The best part? Leia knows who Drogba is.

Astoundingly enough, soccer has offically become my second favorite sport to watch on TV (Naturally football is #1. And no, I am not going to play that stupid football=soccer game. Soccer is soccer. Football is football). I mean, seriously, baseball is horrendously boring, basketball is only good during the playoffs or big-time college games, hockey is just annoying after the strike, and the rest (golf, bowling, etc.) can be quite mind-numbing most of the time. Some, including my former self, have said that soccer is boring, but once I started to understand how the game is really played along with how amazingly talented those guys are, it became increasingly intriguing. This new fascination makes every posession and each delicately placed pass very enjoyable to watch for me. Call me crazy, but I love it!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment